It’s Halloween season! I am sharing some of my favorite Halloween decorating tips and tricks. My favorite Halloween look is classic black and white.
Start by shopping your home for black and white décor. Black and white pillows, clocks, mirrors, trays, chalkboards, etc. With the right touch, they will add to your Halloween design.
Next, these are my simple tips for adding a little stylish haunt to your house…
Go Thrift Shopping.
- Hardcover books run $1-$2, sometimes less. Look for all black books with spooky titles. Stack them in groupings of 2-3. They add height and are perfect with little spooky crittters or skeleton hands resting on them.
- Tarnished silver or brass. The old finish is perfect for an old gothic haunted house. Fill bowls with poison apples or candy. Scatter candle holders with drippy candles. Use trays to group items. Love the look of tarnished metal for Halloween.
- Old Mirrors. The older, the better! Old dresser mirrors look ornate, gothic and spooky when you add a little spider web to them.
Printing. My favorite!
- Black and white is easy and inexpensive to print. Use inexpensive frames and group layers of vintage Halloween graphics on shelves or mantles.
- To print Large scale, head to your local staples and print engineer prints. Skeletons, bats, crows, eyes and spiders look perfectly spooky in black and white print.
- Iron on paper and a $3 Linen throw pillow cover can transform your everyday toss pillows into vintage black crow or spooky bat décor for a night (or the season). Amazon is my go to place for linen toss pillow covers.
- Print engineer prints and attach wood strips to each end and hang by a string for custom artwork. (see my skeleton)
- Paint your pumpkins black. Chalkboard spray paint works double duty for writing spooky messages on the pumpkins too.
Basic Halloween Must Haves
- Black Gauze Fabric
- Black Crows
- White Web
- Skeleton Hands
DIY TIP … print a black crow on to iron on paper and create a custom pillow using inexpensive linen throw pillow covers. See Below:
Carry your neutral black and white theme to your outside decor just as easily.